Sunday, October 06, 2024

Book Review: Barks and Clues (Canine Cozy Mystery, #1) by Sharon Michaels

Barks and Clues: A Canine Cozy MysteryBarks and Clues: A Canine Cozy Mystery by Sharon Michaels
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Short, cozy mystery featuring dogs and their human sleuths.

Barks and Clues is the first entry in author Sharon Michaels’s Canine Cozy Mystery series featuring retired police detective Maya Thompson, her son and granddaughter, and their three canine companions, Dash, Digger, and Daisy. The story is short but fast-paced and intriguing as two separate investigations of the burglary of the next-door neighbor’s home are conducted: one by Maya and her human family and the second by their pets!

At 70 years of age, Maya has long since hung up her handcuffs, but the break-in at her elderly neighbor’s home has her back on a case when the local police completely blow it off. I really liked Maya and could relate to her annoyance with young Officer Kittery’s snide remarks and rude, condescending attitude. Age is relative – some wear it well while others don’t – and Maya is assuredly in the first category. I liked that her son, Ethan, and granddaughter, Lily, were no strangers to her abilities and capabilities and were ready on a moment’s notice to throw in with her on the investigation. While I didn’t independently guess who was behind the rash of local burglaries, I found the resolution highly satisfying because I didn’t like that character from the minute they were introduced. Yeah, I’m petty that way.

I recommend BARKS AND CLUES to cozy mystery readers, especially those who like dog-themed books or are looking for something short, entertaining, and quick to enjoy.

I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving an Advanced Review Copy from the author through Great Escapes Virtual Book Tours.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment